Thursday, May 21, 2015

CARCASSONNE


Carcassonne is a fortified French town in the region of Languedoc-Roussillon. This city is really famous for the Cite de Carcassonne.  It is located on a hill on the right bank of the River Aude, in the south-east part of the city proper. It was built during the Gallo-Roman period. This building has 3 kilometres long walls and 52 towers. The town has about 2500 years of history. Romans decided to transform it into a fortified town. In 1853, the restoration work began and now it is fixed. 









This painting represents a French Knight, the white rider, in combat with a Saracen Knight carrying a round shield. 






These three Gothic windows are very notable. They can be dated by the coiffures of the figures in the arches.






The smiling Virgin, known as the Virgin with the bird is a very interesting 14th Century statue. Virgin is here depicted as Wife and Mother rather than Queen. The head of Jesus has been replaced to another on because during the French Revolution his head was decapitated.
This tower stands at south east corner of the castle. 
Inside of this tower, there are rooms have admirable hemispherical or cupola vaulted ceilings typical of the 12th century.
This tower stands at the south west extremity of the outer wall. 
Before the outer wall was constructed by St. Louis, it constituted the weakest point in the defences of the Citadel being ill-defended by nature.




REFLECTION 

Before going to Carcassonne, I was researching about this place and found out that this place was one of the most important cities in France. The day before, I went to Carcassonne I went to a hiking and found out about Cathar. I found out that they were really wealthy but lived poorly. 
Once I arrived to Carcassonne, I was so surprised by the size of the castle and I could realize that how wealthy they were. Inside the castle there are many children playing with their  swords and shields.  I thought that it is very interesting that this place must be historic. Inside the museum, there were so many items and also so many knights. They lost the fight because they lost their sipply of the water. 
I thought that, now this town is lively but also a sad place.  I was glad to be there and I want to come back here again once I learned about this place more.

No comments:

Post a Comment